Saturday 28 August 2010

Playing dress up

I'm a bt of an oxymoron when it comes to wedding dress shopping - On one hand, I'm so fussy and know exactly what I don't want, but on the other hand, all the dresses are gorgeous and I couldn't possibly choose between them!. So I'm picky, but I like them all. Basically I'm useless!

When I started looking at dresses, I had a very clear idea of what I wanted:
  • not strapless
  • white
  • very simple design
  • A line skirt with bodice top
  • no lace, minimal beading
  • no pick-ups or ruffles on the skirt
Obviously, when I actually tried on some dresses, most of this went out the window! I decided that strapless was quite nice (and alot easier to find!) and that beading actually looked lovely. I still want an A line skirt without pick-ups, but I'm not quite as strict as I was to begin with!

The first place I tried dresses on at was Boda Bridal, in Chester. They have collection of plus size dresses (I think there were about 15 or so) and it was nice to be able to try on dresses that fit. The staff were lovely and very helpful - and every dress I tried on was gorgeous and I wanted each one! My favourite though, was this one from Big Beautiful Brides Collection - it was simple, but still had some beading to add a bit of interest.


Now I cant remember the name or number of this dress, but it was beautiful. It was similar in look to Maggie Sottero's Martina (below) with the spray of beading coming out from one side of the dress.


I also tried on Alfred Angelo 1136 (at a different shop) which I loved, and for a long time I though that was "the one" that I would end up with.

But the more I looked at it, the more I realised that while it is truly a beautiful dress, it is very sparkly and detailed, which is the opposite of what I wanted.

I also went to Amore Plus Bridal in Rugby, which is a dedicated Plus Size shop and it a was really lovely experience. I loved being able to choose nay dress from the rail and not have to look at the size and worry about if I would even get one leg into it! I tried on loads of dresses that I wouldn't normally choose, just because they fit and I figured that I might as well rule out certain styles.
I was looking at empire line dresses, but can offically say that they do absolutely nothing for my figure!
Now, this is a shame because I really like the simple, flowing look. But never mind.
I also tried on a mermaid style dress and was pleasently surprised! I'd always ignored those dresses because I thought they would be horribly unflattering to a plus size figure, but when I put one on it actually looked nice.
But I still havn't tried on a dress that I absolutely have to have. Everyone keeps talking about how you know when you've found the one, there will be tears and gasps and angels will sing from the heavens (ok, maybe not, but you get the idea). I havn't had angels singing, but then again, I'm sure not everyone has that...

I can't believe that there is only one single dress out there that is perfect for each person! What if you have an angels singing moment with2 dresses? or 3? or 10? What if you don't have that moment at all? I will be ecstatic to find a dress that I look amazing in, and feel the best I ever have! Surely that's not too much to ask.....

So I'm still looking for a white, A line, simple wedding dress. Maybe something a bit different...? And I will keep listening for the angels, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...