Saturday 18 September 2010

Bridesmaids fabric swatches

You may recall my post a while back about the bridesmaid dresses that each girl had designed on Style Shake. Well I asked them for some fabric swatches so that I could check the colour, and they arrived today.

I asked for a sample of the Violet Silk, the Purple Cotton and the Matt Silver Cotton. My plan was to have the dresses in purple cotton with silver sashes. However, when the samples came, I think I prefer the violet silk!


You can't really see the colours properly on this photo, but the violet silk is more of a bright, cadburys purple, which is what I wanted.  The purple cotton looks more like burgundy to me and the more I look at it, the more I don't like it! 

It's a shame, because I wanted the dresses to be cotton because it will probably be hot and I just thought that cotton would be more comfortable than silk. 

There is also the price to consider. The dresses in cotton were around £54 each, which I though was a pretty decent price. The dresses in silk are about £80. Now this might not be too bad in the (ridiculously overpriced) world of bridesmaid dresses, but to me, that is a lot of money for a dress. I have never spent £80 on a dress in my life. My wedding dress will not even cost double that! As much as I've prattled on about letting the girls design their own dress so that they have one they really love, at the end of the day, I am making them buy a dress in a certain colour, fabric and general style. The least I can do is let them save some money!

So at the moment I am unsure what we will be doing for bridesmaid dresses. :-(
I really want the Style Shake dresses (who wouldn't want to do business with a company that starts their letters with "Hellooooooooo" ?!)  so maybe I will have to discuss with the bridesmaids how much they are willing to spend. I will also keep an eye out for any high street dresses that fit the bill.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...