Thursday 2 September 2010

If music be the food of love...

I think that music is extremely important on your wedding day. The right piece of music can set the mood of the day instantly, and 50 years down the line, you might not remember exactly which flowers made up each bouquet, or which font you used on the invitations, but you will definitely remember the music playing as you walked down the aisle and the song that you first danced to as husband and wife (or wife and wife, or husband and husband!).

For me at least. Maybe other people will prefer to keep their memories of the flowers or the colours because it means something special to them, but for me, it's all about the music.

I agonised for months about our wedding day music - there are so many songs that I love, and we don't have one song that is "our song". By the way, I say "I" and not "we" again, because my lovely fiancé's only contribution to the music discussion was that we should have the Fast Food Song (you know the one that goes "a pizza hut, a pizza hut, kentucky fried chicken and a pizza hut"?!) I love him, but not that much!

So after Karl had basically said that he would be happy with whatever I chose, I started playing songs to him constantly. And for every one he just said "no". No reasons or anything! So much for being happy with whatever I chose! Eventually, after much nagging, I managed to get a response to some songs that sounded vaguely positive. And so our wedding music was decided.

We have chosen 4 big day songs:
  1. Processional
  2. Signing the register
  3. Recessional
  4. First Dance

Processional: As mentioned in a previous post , I'd always wanted to walk down the aisle to Iris by Goo Goo Dolls and I found the perfect version played on the piano.

I adore the music I'm walking down the aisle to! I have put it on my ipod and listen to it constantly. It makes me feel very happy and very calm - something I'm hoping will help on the wedding day! Click >here< to listen to our processional song.



Signing the Register:  There was very little discussion about this song actually. It just had to be "One Day Like This" by Elbow. The song is so beautiful and so epic - and the lyrics are just crying out to be used at a wedding!

As soon as I knew we had to choose a song to play while we signed the register, I knew it would be this one. It does funny things to my tummy, but in a good way.
Click >here< to listen to our signing song.



Recessional: This song was very difficult to choose. I think this is the most important song to me, as it will be played as we walk back up the aisle, leaving as  official husband and wife for the first time. It should be a perfect moment and the song needs to reflect that. I wanted an upbeat, happy song that would fit our mood and the lyrics needed to be suitable too.  After repeatedly playing what felt like every song ever written, I finally decided on "Hey, soul sister" by Train. And after I decided on it, I couldn't believe it had taken me so long to realise that it was perfect!

I have always loved Train. "Drops of Jupiter" and "Calling All Angels" have been on heavy rotation on my ipod for years. When I heard "Hey, soul sister" it made me smile and I had an overwhelming urge to dance. Perfect! And the lyrics are actually beautiful and very very sweet.
Click >here< to listen to our recessional song.


First Dance:   For the first dance, I started looking through my music files and immediately went to "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds. Like I said, we don't have "our song" but if we did, I would want it to be this. It is almost too beautiful, it makes me a little bit teary. The lyrics are so perfect for us too.

We wanted something slow for our first dance, as neither of us is very  co-ordinated and having to dance in front of everyone is embarrassing enough, without having to learn an actual routine. So this song is great because we can just sway along and maybe put some steps in if we're feeling confident.
Click >here< to listen to our first dance song.


And that's a musical description of our wedding day!

Don't feel bad for the songs that didn't make the cut, we will be playing a collection of our favourite songs both before the ceremony and after, during cocktail hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...