Thursday 21 October 2010

Rainbow Cake

Ages and ages ago, I posted a picture of a layered rainbow cake - today I made one!

Now, I am not the best baker in the world, so if my cakes don't collapse or give anyone food poisoning, I'd call them a success.

This cake was much easier to make than I imagined, it just took a long time because I only had one cake tin that was the right size, so I had to make each layer, cook it, clean the tin and then make the next layer, as opposed to cooking all 5 layers at once.

Here is the purple layer (yes that is purple!) about to go into the oven. Karl made fun of me because I couldn't quite get the right mix of food colouring to make purple, so it looks a bit weird.



When each layer was cooked, I turned it out onto the wire rack to cool. And no, the purple mix did not magically turn green. I only remembered to take pictures of some of the layers.


When the layers were cool I spread jam on top and placed them together.


And then I covered the whole thing in vanilla butter cream. I was actually quite scared to cut into in in case it all collapsed, but I am so impressed with how it turned out!


And it tastes amazing!

I really think that this would make a fantastic wedding cake, and I'm not just saying that because I needed a tedious link in order to justify showing off my cake on my wedding blog...

Seriously, I can totally imagine a huge, tiered cake with lovely smooth white icing on the outside, and crazy coloured layers on the inside! If you had big enough cake tins you could probably make it yourself too!

Anyway, I must go, I have a cake to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...